Monday 8 July 2019

June Reading List

June was an awful month for reading (and writing) productivity I am afraid to say... What with moving house and work, I have struggled to fit anything else in as I have been ready for bed by ten every night!

Here are the ones I did fit in...

A customer at work that reads similar books to the ones I do recommended this series to me and of course, I went and bought the first one - and did not regret it! Sacrificed by the Dragon by Jessie Donovan, the first in the Stonefire Dragons Series.

~~~

In exchange for a vial of dragon’s blood to save her brother’s life, Melanie Hall offers herself up as a sacrifice to one of the British dragon-shifter clans. Being a sacrifice means signing a contract to live with the dragon-shifters for six months to try to conceive a child. Her assigned dragonman, however, is anything but easy. He’s tall, broody, and alpha to the core. There’s only one problem—he hates humans.

Due to human dragon hunters killing his mother, Tristan MacLeod despises humans. Unfortunately, his clan is in desperate need of offspring to repopulate their numbers and it’s his turn to service a human female. Despite his plans to sleep with her and walk away, his inner dragon has other ideas. The curvy human female tempts his inner beast like no other.

~~~

Wowsers - this was stunning! Fantastically written, great characters and a well-paced and thrilling storyline. I would definitely recommend it to readers of Naini Singh, Christine Feehan and Kelley Armstrong, which were the authors that the customer and I had in common. Check out my review.


I started The Book Thief by Markus Zusak as it was Book Club's 'Classics' choice for June, but I really struggled with it. I already know the story, and I loved the 2013 film adaptation, but have really struggled to get into the novel. I persisted for a long time, which I think is what slowed down the reading for June, but eventually, I did admit defeat and shelved it! I will go back and try again one day!
~~~

It is 1939. In Nazi Germany, the country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier - and will become busier still.

By her brother's graveside, nine year old Liesel's life is changed forever when she picks up a single object, abandoned in the snow. It is The Gravedigger's Handbook, and this is her first act of book thievery.

So begins Liesel's love affair with books and words, and soon she is stealing from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library . . . wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times, and when Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, nothing will ever be the same again.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winnin

~~~


Those People by Louise Candlish was one I had on the shelf ready for an event with the author and I picked this up with just over a week till the event - I didn't need a week!

~~~

Could you hate your neighbour enough to plot to kill him?

Until Darren Booth moves in at number 1, Lowland Way, the neighbourhood is a suburban paradise. But soon after his arrival, disputes over issues like loud music and parking rights escalate all too quickly to public rows and threats of violence.

Then, early one Saturday, a horrific crime shocks the street. As the police go house-to-house, the residents close ranks and everyone's story is the same: Booth did it.

But there's a problem. The police don't agree with them.

~~~

A brilliantly written novel full of twists and turn to keep you guessing and with some good choices for events - I often worry about being disappointed by the 'whodunnit' part of books like this, but I loved the outcome here. Check out my review!


Alongside Louise, we had another author in whose book was similar in themes to Those People and I read her book too! The Neighbour by Fiona Cummins is similar in style, but grittier due to the serial killer using the street as his hunting ground!

~~~

FOR SALE: A lovely family home with good-sized garden and treehouse occupying a plot close to woodland. Perfect for kids, fitness enthusiasts, dog walkers . . .

And, it seems, the perfect hunting ground for a serial killer.

On a hot July day, Garrick and Olivia Lockwood and their two children move into 25 The Avenue looking for a fresh start. They arrive in the midst of a media frenzy: they'd heard about the local murders in the press, but Garrick was certain the killer would be caught and it would all be over in no time. Besides, they'd got the house at a steal and he was convinced he could flip it for a fortune.

The neighbours seemed to be the very picture of community spirit. But everyone has secrets, and the residents in The Avenue are no exception.

After six months on the case with no real leads, the most recent murder has turned DC Wildeve Stanton's life upside down, and now she has her own motive for hunting down the killer - quickly.

~~~

I could not put this down! I genuinely had to keep tearing myself away from it to go back to work or to eat or sleep, and I read the last quarter or so, when everything started unraveling, in an evening and into the night as I just had to get to the end and find out who the killer was! I won't reveal too much, but the line up of characters *cough cough* suspects will have you second guessing yourself all the way through while you try and work out who the 'Doll Maker' serial killer is that DC Stanton is searching for! Check out my review and then go and grab your own copy - you won't regret it...


And that's a wrap... I hope to be back on it for July :)

No comments:

Post a Comment