Saturday 30 June 2018

My Reading List

Gone were the days when I just picked up a book, read it, and then picked up another one!! These days my reading list is a working document that is ever-changing and absolutely never set in concrete... I am now juggling my own personal choices (long-standing series' and authors that I am following), trying to get in at least one of the four Waterstones' books of the month (so that I at least have a personal opinion on one of them), then I get distracted by proofs that come to the shop, or in some cases, I actually went to an event and picked up twenty-four proofs of upcoming books from Harper Collins publishers! A definite perk of being a Bookseller :) But I digress, I also have books that I am being recommended, by staff and by some customers, and books that are linked to events that I am either attending because of work, or have been invited to due to my Bookseller role and I am choosing to go to - making my reading list almost as tall as I am - Literally!!

Want some examples - and to see just how diverse my choices are?! Here goes...

 These are roughly all personal choices - I was working my way through Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling novels before I got sidetracked, so I have three of them on my bookshelf, as well as several more on order! I have the newest Kelley Armstrong book to read, another author whose books I have read pretty much all of. I have a couple of kids' books in there that I have seen on the shelves or have had great reviews or a lot of attention and I've wanted to read and I have my signed copy of Simon Hooper's autobiography that I have yet to read... and these are just the ones I would have chosen anyway!



Next up we have ones linked to my job - Your Zodiac Soul is one I had a personal interest in, but was then tugged to the top of my list when I found out that John Wadsworth was coming to do a signing in our shop!! I have several proofs, a two of which (not pictured) were my last reads, both children's fiction, which I am quickly learning is one of my favourite genres! Plus I have some teen novels to read for an event that I am going to in London next month where I get to meet the authors - it's only right that I have read their books...




And the other pile I have - which is not a full pile I might add as I couldn't locate them all for this photo, is some of the proofs I picked up from the Harper Collins event I attended at the start of the month... There were some great titles at the event, a couple of which had jumped to the top of my to-read list before the other events cropped up! The main one being The Binding (the purple cover stood up!) hich sounds epic and is being pegged as the next Eleanor Oliphant (which by the way, I still have not read)

Are you starting to see what I have going on here?! Plus I have my drafts from writing to read and edit - all around a five day work week... It's madness. I genuinely don't know how I am fitting it in, but I am still averaging at least one book a week, sometimes more depending on the genre/topic/author etc. For example, I can read a children's fiction title in just a couple of days, same as a Nalini Singh novel, yet others, ones I am less familiar with or maybe am not enjoying the same, can take a little longer...

So, I am now off to go and read! Fancy that - see if I can get through some of these this month and tick a few off the list before more turn up that I want to read :)

If you want to check out what I have been reading and my reviews, you can see them on my Goodreads page!!

See you in Wonderland :)

No comments:

Post a Comment