Wednesday 3 April 2019

Let's get running!

Health Kick check-in...

So, I'm on top of the healthy eating part... I'm over two weeks in and feeling good about the food aspect. I've cracked the meal planning and am getting good at the prep, making sure that I have lunch ready rather than grabbing crap out of the cupboards in the morning. I have breakfasts planned, so I know exactly what I'm doing when I get up each morning for work. It's going great. I've even managed to stay away from the chocolate - I'm very proud of myself.

To add to the Health Kick, I decided I needed to get off my ass and get moving too. I had very little motivation for this until a friend mentioned she was trying the 'Couch to 5k' challenge. For anyone who hasn't heard of it before, it's pretty simple. There are apps to help, and the workouts are set up to ease you into running. It is an eight-week program and it claims that it can have me running 5k in that time. I'm still a little skeptical about the timeframe, but we'll see.


Amanda and I agreed to spur each other on, though we wouldn't be training together. We don't really live close enough to be going out running, it would make it hard work to organise, and a pain to get around to. So, we said we would train alone, keeping a check on each other to keep us motivated, and at the end of the eight-week program, we are going to get together to run the 5k!

Sounds so simple!

I downloaded an app, and the following day, I took on the first workout. I have to admit, I was somewhat pessimistic about the idea, I've run before, and although I do quite like it, I've never particularly been very good at it - it's more of a slow jog for a start, and I never seemed to get any fitter when I was doing it before. However, I got my music sorted and set off.

The first week, I was to do three workouts, all the same. It started with a five-minute brisk walk to warm up, then was a 60-second run, a 90-second walk, for just under half an hour, then a five-minute walk to coll down again. By the time I got home again, I was incredibly out of breath, very red in the face and in desperate need of a drink. But I felt great!!



My stats didn't look too bad. I covered just over two miles in the time I was out. I ran when she told me to run, I walked when she told me to walk, and I made it all the way through without having to stop. I then spent twenty minutes on the bed recovering before I could find the energy to get a shower, but it's all about the small steps. I got off my ass and did it!

Since then, I have done the other two workouts for week one, and my stats have improved ever so slightly each time. A little bit faster, a little bit further. Not quite so knackered and recovering faster. I'm still very red in the face by the time I get home again, but I will take that for now!


To add to the moment, when driving to work this week, Jenni Falconer was on Heart Radio with Dixie and Emma, discussing her new podcast. Now, I have never listened to a podcast before, I wasn't really sure that it was my thing. But as seen as this one was all about running, I thought I would give it a go. I listened to it during my run for workout three and loved it. It was great to listen to them talking about running and being a runner as I was out there jogging along at my snail pace. I have subscribed and will definitely be keeping up to date with them during my runs. The best part, it was perfectly timed for my workout session!

Eyes open for the next Health Kick update - there are more things I am trying :)

No comments:

Post a Comment