Monday 5 February 2018

You know you're a writer when...


You know you're a writer when... you go to bed late at night, get snuggled up and are ready to head to Dream Land, when suddenly, your brain goes into overdrive with ideas for new stories, and planning to get yourself on track and make sure you get everything done in order to stick to your intended publishing time line that you have set yourself in order to try and be 'more professional'! So, you get back out of your cosy bed, tip toe across the floor and find something to pull on and head back downstairs to find a pen and some paper to write all these things down before you inevitably forget them in sleep!

get back in bed with said pen and paper and all the thoughts come tumbling out in a non cohesive jumble of ideas that start to look like a child's attempt at fitting as many words as physically possible on a page before having to give in and get a new piece of paper. Good Luck with that come morning!
Today, I spent just over an hour trying to decode my late night ramblings from last night, and think I have sorted them out into helpful ideas, possible good story ideas, and plain old useless crap - oh, and the parts that I just can't decipher - I hope those weren't too important!
What have I learned from all of this?! 
Well, for starters, I should have had the pen and paper by the bed instead of having to go searching for it in the middle of the night... Secondly, I learned that my boyfriend loves me in ways I didn't really understand. I know this because he rolled over to watch me - just watch me, as I scribbled furiously, trying to get out all the thoughts before they began to evade me in the night. Then, when I was all done, and ready to get back to sleep like a normal person, he simply snuggled back up to me, told me he loved me, and fell asleep. 
He never once complained that I was up and about, making the floorboards creak, or turning on lights... He never said that I was being a pain or that the light was annoying him... He didn't laugh when I said I needed to get a pen; he even offered to go get the pen and paper! And most of all, he told me that he loved his writer girlfriend and that he was proud of me for following my dreams!
Now, that may not sound like much, but I've heard stories from other Indie writers about how they don't want to tell their family, partners, and friends about their writing habits, as they don;t feel like they would get the support they want from them. This has always concerned me a little, ,as I believe that the support network that you build around yourself; particularly as an independent author, is what makes you successful. I've always had that support from my family, and am not afraid to say that I know that I would not be where I am today without their love, belief in me, and the occasional kick up the ass when I need it. I now know that I have that from my partner too, (don't get me wrong, I've always known that he supported me, I just never realised to what extent before) and that makes me one very lucky writer, and I will never take that for granted!
Story shared - I'll see you all at 3am! *The time of the creative minds*

No comments:

Post a Comment