Sunday 4 March 2018

World Book Day

Who dressed up?? Be honest!! 

I did! And I'm not even sorry - and I did it twice! Despite the weather, I made it to work and we opened as usual on Thursday... well, other than the part where we were in fancy dress that is! I lost count how many time we got asked if it was for something special :) which sort of upsets me that so  many people didn't know about World Book Day - it's still a niche thing :(


Little Red Riding Hood manned the downstairs till for most of the day, with Wally hiding out upstairs! The joke stayed all day - I used it more than once, and several customers also stated that they had 'found him' :) 

I loved it, I love spreading the word about World Book Day, personally, I find it a crying shame that there are so many people who have never even heard of it! Books are such a vital part of life, even today... it's only right that they have a day to celebrate them, and that so many adults don't know what it is or what it's about needs to change. Little things like the publicity we have given it over the last few days is a great start, and if this was more wide spread, I think the word would get out there. Schools play their part - most children know the day, and what it stands for, and therefore their families know as they are likely to go home talking about it, and of course, want to dress up for it!! We need to spread the word to those without those links!

Saturday was our Book Day event, and I had another costume at the ready - Alice made her appearance! She could be found upstairs for most of the day, in and around the children's section, making sure that everyone found Wally! Yup, the joke continued, plus we had our Wally Hunt in the Children's section. Wally had a message for the children, and when they found it, they had to go tell the real Wally to receive their prize... and of course some of those winners had to be while Wally was trying to have some lunch :)

During the morning, we did a reading of one of the Book Awards picture books for the children we had in shop, and it went down a treat; they loved Fergul and got involved in the story! We also had a fancy dress parade in the afternoon, where we had Meg and Mog show up, a well as a cute-as-a-button Red Queen!!

Overall, I think it was a success, and we did our bit for spreading the word about World Book Day - here's to next year :)


No comments:

Post a Comment