Tuesday 10 July 2018

Top 5 children's classics!

Just a short one today, but after reading a proof for an upcoming children's book (more on that closer tot he release date) it got me thinking about my favourite children's fiction titles - both from when I was a kid, and the ones that I still love. So here they are!


  • Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - My all-time favourite and has been for as long as I can remember. I remember watching the Disney version of this and reading it not long later and have loved Alice and all the quirks of Wonderland ever since! It is a long-standing classic that both adults and children alike love, and one that will live on for a long time to come!
  • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - I remember reading this in my last year of Junior School as a class project and we then went on to design our own gardens and keys etc. It is one of my most treasured memories from school and I have loved The Secret Garden ever since. I even remember bringing a copy home and reading ahead of where the teacher was at school becasue I was dying to know what happened next!
  • Charlotte's Web by E B White - Another one that I remember watching the film first (something I prefer not to do these days) and then going in search of the book at the library. I haven't reread this in a  very long time, and am now wondering whether I should :)
  • Matilda by Roald Dahl - I was never a Roald Dahl fan, which no one could ever understand when I was such a big reader and book lover, but I just never got on with his stories. However, Matilda did always hold a place in my heart purely because of her love of books! It's the only book of his that I would ever consider rereading!
  • Mary Poppins by P L Travers - I discovered this one late really, but fell in love with Mary Poppins the way every young girl once did and have seen the film version more times than I care to admit!! I recently bought a copy of this for the bookshelf at home in the hopes that the young un's might pick it up.
So there you have them in a nutshell - my top 5 children's classics - have you read them? If not, what's in your top 5?? Drop some comments and let's see what we remember reading and loving as a child!!

Vanessa x

No comments:

Post a Comment