Saturday 28 July 2018

Camp NaNo success!!

So, as you may or may not know, I took part in Camp NaNoWriMo this month! Back at the beginning of July I set myself a 30,000 word goal - that's less than a thousand words a day... Easy right?! I won't lie - I panicked a little somewhere in the middle when I ended up working out in Buxton for eight days, not getting back to the house till gone nine at night, it wasn't leaving much time to fit in the words I needed to be achieving. However, we did get a lot of downtime during the day when events were taking place, time we had been wisely using to read. What looks better than a bookseller reading the books they're selling?! Well, one day I decided to use that time to write. It was a solid, reasonably undisturbed hour to just write. And you know what?! I wrote over 1500 words in that hour...

After that, I quickly got back on track as I was easily achieving my goal of 1000 words a day, and more. Which led me to today - three days before the finish line and I made it! I achieved my goal!

Now, I didn't quite achieve what I set out to do, as I set out to write the first 30,000 words of what will be the newest novel in my Hidden World Series, however, when I hit some plot issues and couldn't get my head around them, I switched to a project that I've had in the background for a while now, as well as a side project of a children's book and another idea for a Hidden World Story. All in all, I started three books and continued with Unveiled, which is the side project - this was the one that I did the most work in, which is why it went on the certificate.

So, now I have options. I generally use the month after Camp to get some heavy editing done. There are several of my projects at this stage so I think it is time to take a step back from the writing process and get some serious editing done this month before taking stock of where I'm at come the start of September!!

Hopefully, there is more than one story to come out of Camp this year :) I'll keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment