Thursday 1 November 2018

NaNoWriMo 2018

National Novel Writing Month is upon us - for those of you who have never heard me speak of this before... where have you been?? But for real - NaNoWriMo; the national month of writing is in November every year, where the wildly creative and slightly batty team encourage writers everywhere, both indie and traditionally published, to write 50,000 words in 30 days! Sounds mad, I hear you cry - well, you're right! But we put ourselves through it every year none the less!

This year is no different - This will be my third year writing for NaNoWriMo and I will once again be writing my next Hidden World Novel... I use this challenge to get down part of the first draft of a new story, as I find it keeps me moving in a way that I wouldn't normally. Far too often I find myself editing as I write, whereas this doesn't give me time to do that - it's all about getting the words on a page!



This year I will be attempting a little over the average of 50,000 words, as I do actually already have part of the story written, however it needs an overhaul and a character perspective change, as well as finishing... so I plan to reach 75,000 words, including the ones I will be cutting and pasting before rearranging and creating the new story. Make sense?? No, it doesn't to me either, but I'm still going to try!

The Original Sin will be the fifth story in The Hidden World Novels and is about a sassy vampire named Nel. That's all the information you are getting I'm afraid - though if you are subscribed to my author newsletter and have access to The Zone, then you will be able to find some original material, and a photo of Nel to have a nosey at! Not signed up? Well, follow this link and subscribe now for instant access!!

I have set myself up with a bookish reward system for the milestones throughout the month - I thought it was the perfect way of justifying some book buys, as well as keeping me motivated all month! Check it out...

5k - Lost Boy by Christina Henry
10k - Bad Mermaids (book 1 and 2) by Sibeal Pounder
25k - Winternight series book 1 and 2 by Katherine Arden
40k - Poems to live your life by, by Chris Riddell
50k - To make monsters out of girls by Amanda Lovelace
60k - Sisters of the Winter Wood by Rena Rossner
75k - Kelley Armstrong Amazon buy (Otherworld graphic novels)

Sounds like a perfect plan to me - although I've set my goals high and I really want those Kelley Armstrong Otherworld stories!! Plus I will be buying my NaNoWriMo T-shirt when I hit 50k :)

Wish me luck - I'll check in later in the month and let you know how I'm getting on!

No comments:

Post a Comment