Monday 11 December 2017

Book Review: Alice

So, when I interviewed for my job at Waterstone's, I learned about the series of books by Christina Henry, and had to wonder how I had missed them... I had missed them though, and I was quick to get over to the shop and pick up a copy of her first book; Alice.

Let's start with what an eye-catching cover this is, and the rest of the series are just as beautiful. I love the use of the silhouette and think that it leaves the interpretation of the characters to the reader.

The book follows the story of Alice, who starts out the story imprisoned in an asylum, assumed to be mad because of the tale she told when she returned from Old City covered in blood, and without the friend she went with. When a fire gives her opportunity to escape, alongside the only friend she had on the inside, Hatcher. Hatcher is obviously the Hatter, and lives up to the character's expectations as he really is a little mad.

When Hatcher and Alice escaped the asylum, something dark and dangerous escaped with them, and it soon becomes apparent that they are the only ones who can track the beast, which is of course, known as The Jabberwocky! Alice and Hatcher end up deep in the heart of Old City, where old favourites such as Cheshire, the Caterpillar, the Carpenter, and of course, the Rabbit turn up. We soon learn that Alice has met the Rabbit before, and that he is the reason she was believed to be crazy to begin with. These new characters, based on our old favourites, are fantastic rewrites and fit perfectly into this mixed up reality, giving the good old story of Alice in Wonderland a stunning new twist.

I loved this book, and can't wait to get stuck into the second book of Alice's story; Red Queen - *makes a mental note to add it to the massive to-be-read pile that she already has* - I'm already speculating who the Queen might be, as I feel like we have probably been introduced to her in this book... We shall see if I'm right when I get into it!!

This earns a full five stars from me - and I review my reads on Amazon, Waterstone's and Goodreads! If you love a good rewrite then this is definitely for you, and if you like something with a lot of suspense and a gripping storyline that makes you want to turn the page, then pick this up and give it a go :)

2 comments:

  1. I need to borrow this from you! Sounds so good! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing - I have just ordered in the next one - can't wait to see who the Red Queen is!

      Delete