Saturday 16 December 2017

Tale of two screens...

Technology was seriously out to get me over the last week! As those of you who follow my Instagram will know, I recently bought a Windows Tablet that I intend to use to replace my laptop that is so ready to retire it's unreal... Well - I have had nothing but problems since the day it arrived!

When it came through the post, I eagerly opened it and put it on charge before I went out, knowing that I'd want to play as soon as I got home again! First error - doing it in a hurry! When I got home, it turned out I'd been trying to charge it up by plugging the charger into the headphone jack! Good start Ness!! Once I was back on track and charged, things seemed to go okay for a while, until the small memory that we didn't think would be an issue as seen as I keep my documents on a hard drive, decided it was full of updates and then the tablet needed to install another NECESSARY security update and couldn't fit it in! Ignoring the message as I was actually attempting to use the tablet at the time, I soon discovered that it wasn't messing around - and it decided to freeze up on me while I was editing my several thousand page novel, on a copy that hadn't been backed up in around seventeen chapters... Why? Because, God forbid that the new device actually do what it is meant to and just work!! Lesson learned. After cursing it, threatening it, swearing at it and trying to reason with it, I finally got it to shut down and reboot, only to discover that it had corrupted the word file that I was editing in. File does not exist.

I cried. I won't lie - irrational tears of fury! After calming back down, I moved the empty file back to a memory stick, set the anti virus scanner going on the tablet and got out the trusty old laptop in the hopes that it would open the file and all my worries would be for nothing... Updates! Fucking updates! The laptop decided that it had to, at that very precise moment, install very important updates, that couldn't possibly wait ten minutes for me to check my novel file!

After ranting some more, and threatening to throw both the laptop and the tablet out of the window - I gave it up as a bad job for the night and did something less stressful... Two and a half hours later, when the laptop was finally ready to turn on, I was ready for bed! Still no answer as to whether my novel had survived the tablet's little hissy fit!

Move to the next day - a whole work day later - I finally get around to turning the laptop back on, and guess what - file does not exist. That's seventeen chapters of editing gone. Poof. Just like that. Lesson most certainly learned!!

As if that wasn't enough - I then had printer problems - laptop refusing to connect to the same printer that it has been connected to and printing from for the last six months or so... why? I have no idea - two uninstalls, a reboot and a quick smack later, and we seemed back on track and got some documents printed!

The tablet - still didn't have enough room to install its very necessary security updates - so I went out and spoke to very nice man in the shop and bought a memory card so that it could install its bloody updates and I could actually try using it for its intended purpose! Get the card home, find the little pokey tool to fit it and get it in - card not recognised! Are you actually kidding me?!?!!?!? The tablet knows that the card is there, but it won't let me use the space it has created... What the actual f***???

What next? Let's try completely resetting the tablet and see if that helps - wait, we can't reset it while its running on battery power - and guess what - the power cable is not where I am! Go figure! So that will have to wait until tomorrow night now... For tonight, the laptop is as trusty as ever and is working so that I can at least write this blog post...

Oh well - at least my phone isn't acting up... yet... (touch wood)

No comments:

Post a Comment